In the last blog post we share with you the bases of a healthy diet to improve blood cholesterol levels. However, there are still things to do to improve our diet in this regard. Therefore, today we share with you what we consider the best foods to lower and keep cholesterol at bay. This are our 10 essential foods to reduce your blood cholesterol levels.
Essential foods to reduce your cholesterol levels
1. Oats. Thanks to its high content of soluble fiber, this food can decrease the absorption of cholesterol in the blood and clean the blood vessels of their deposits.
2. Artichokes and chard. Both promote the elimination of cholesterol through bile and inhibit the enzyme involved in cholesterol biosynthesis by the liver.
3. Foods rich in antioxidants, especially vegetables and fruit of various colors. Without a doubt they are among the essentials of a healthy diet, but it is also part of the list of best cholesterol-lowering foods. Take a look at our Olettie Beauty Boost blend – a true antioxidant pump.
4. Garlic and onion. Very effective thanks to their high antioxidant content, it is best to use them raw, but if they cause discomfort they can also be used cooked or baked or, in the case of garlic, use garlic oil or black garlic (fermented).
5. Apples and carrot. For its high content of pectins and antioxidants.
6. Vegetables. Due to its high content of fiber, lecithins, saponins and isoflavones, it is one of the best foods to lower blood cholesterol.
7. Natural dried fruits. Without frying and without added salt, our favourites are: walnut, almond, flax seeds, chia seeds, rich in monounsaturated fats.
8. Avocado. Thanks to its content in monounsaturated fats and glutathione it is another of the best foods to lower cholesterol. We encourage you to try our BeautyMole recipe!
9. Blue Fish. Due to their richness in omega 3 fats, in addition to lowering “bad” cholesterol, they also help improve levels of “good” cholesterol. The best fish are: mackerel, herring, sardines, tuna, salmon and trout.
10. Olive oil. Its content in omega 9 fats helps lower levels of “bad” cholesterol and increase levels of “good” cholesterol.
This are our 10 essential foods to reduce your blood cholesterol levels, but remember; it’s not worth simply introducing good fats in the diet, we also have to limit the consumption of trans fats, especially fried and processed foods such as industrial pastries, frozen dishes, bags of fried potatoes, fried peanuts, and those that are more easily oxidized, those rich in omega 6 such as sunflower oil, corn or safflower, among others.
To close our list of the best foods to lower cholesterol we have to add: turmeric and milk thistle. Why these two? Due to the great role they play in the regeneration of the liver, the organ responsible for metabolizing cholesterol in the blood.
You can read more about the diet to improve liver function in our article: ‘4 foods that will help you maintain the health of your liver’.